Eyes That Speak Love

He smoothed his shirt as he stared at himself in the dressing room mirror back stage. This was the first time in fifteen years he would be appearing on television after leaving his over a decade career where he practically lived in it. A lot had changed in fifteen years.He still had his rugged good looks, dull blonde hair, sharp blue eyes, big broad shoulders and trim waist (well not as trim as it used to be). He had managed to keep in shape in all the years because he never stopped exercising, it had become such a part of him that he didn't need much discipline to continue. Add a few extra years, he still looked like the old Ronald Baxter. If he was still in the scene he would have been in the class of the sexiest older men.Notwithstanding, the image he was staring at was not the same old Ronald. The sharp steely eyes, the pride that characterised him, the douche bag quality that made him the best at being Ronald Baxter, all that was gone. Physically he may look the same but no one would be deceived, the old Ronald Baxter was dead. 

He could hear a roar of laughter, cheers and applause as the talk show host wet the audience's appetite, preparing them for the guest 

"The ruthless, invincible, arrogant, Bastard. We know him, we love him. Ronald Baxter" 

That used to be funny in his day. In fact he used to be proud of it. He sighed to himself, put on his game face and strode out the walk way that let to the stage to another round of cheers and screams. He shook hands and did a man hug with his host before sitting on the red couch he was gestured to. His host sat on a red arm chair next to the couch. He faced the audience in the bowl shaped hall with a rusty Ronald Baxter smile. Who was he kidding? 

"Ronald you son of a ....." 

" Alder you dog" 

His host was just like he used to be and this show featured mostly people like him. He was good looking with dark hair and sharp arrogant brown eyes with just the right amount of good natured twinkle and he was the perfect host for this show. 

After a few exchanges having him talk about what he was doing now and how he was at his old job, the host finally asked the question he had probably been waiting for all along. 

He had never given the full details before and he had regretted that for a long time and is now glad for the opportunity. 

"So what is relationship between you and Emily Matten?" The talk show host asked him. 

"We are good friends and I often do reviews on her books. You'd have seen me feature in a couple of her novels." 

"You two have a history."  

Ronald laughed. "You can say that". A few people who got in on the joke laughed from the audience. 

He crossed his leg and leaned back, to get comfortable for the story he was about to plunge into. He saw the eager faces of the audience, he recognised the hunger in them, he had fed that hunger, that hunger had fed his pocket. He had recognised the primitive side of man that craved scandals, a bloody desire to see a successful person fall, a good person disgraced. Many of them would never admit it but he had known it and enjoyed watching them pant like blood hounds in front of him as he dangled scoops like raw meat before them.  

What kind of history could have been between the well known Christian novelist and the Notorious Ronald Baxter? He could imagine what pictures were playing in their minds and he was eager to disappoint them. 

"I gather you dealt her a heavy blow in your heydays. This may be a foolish question considering your profession but why?" 

"There was something about her. I shouldn't start from there. I was in my heyday as you put it and I was proud, I was on top of the world. Everyone was afraid of me, every one hated me, everyone loved me, I was king. Celebrities watched their backs because Ronald Baxter may just be watching. It felt really good." He laughed and his host laughed with him.