The Keeper's Word

Lacy was returning late again. 

She looked around the familiar road to her home. The road was empty. That was strange since it was only nine thirty pm. It seemed like something unnatural kept the traffic back. A lone bus was travelling towards her. A man jumped down from the back, threw open the slide door on the side and others jumped out of it. She did not expect this but she was not shocked. It was not difficult for them to hurl her slim sixteen year old frame into the bus. It was even easier because she put up no resistance. She sat quietly in the bus,a slight smile tugging at the corner of her mouth. She began to mutter silently to her self. They were taking her out of town. After about an hour, agitated whispers broke out around her, followed by commotion. They were having a heated argument. All of a sudden the bus stopped the door was swung open and she was literally shoved out of the bus. This time she smiled openly and just waited. 

***************************************************************************************************************************** 

Her mother had consistently lamented about her keeping late nights. She really did not mean to disobey her but sometimes circumstances more important than her mother's worries kept her back. Today for example, one of her class mates who was plagued with so many problems finally decided to let Lacy help her. It was very important that she stayed back even though it was just her luck that her friend waited till late evening to call her. There was so much she had to share. She had been trying for so long to show her that she did not have to suffer the way she did and finally they were making head way. She was feeling very happy today, no different from how she normally felt only that now she was happy about something in particular.  

She wasn't eager to hear her mother's worrying and nagging tonight but she had already resigned to it and that could by no means dampen the delight she felt at the moment. 

She looked around her. The road was quiet. Strange! It is only nine thirty. It seemed like something unnatural kept back the traffic. She watched the lone bus speeding from up the road towards her without much interest. It gave a loud screech as the brakes were slammed when the bus got to her side. A man jumped out from the back of the bus, slid open the side door and others, two of them, joined him. She really was not interested in this tonight.  

She knew the road she was traveling on was considered dangerous but she had refused to live in fear.  

"Maybe this isn't so bad" she thought to herself. "Maybe it may even work together for good. Like an adventure. I may even get a chance to preach to them. What if they were holding some other people and I could help rescue them?" 

The thought made her smile but she knew there was no adventure for her tonight.  

She began to speak to herself or more like to God. 

"Dear Lord, I thank you because your word is true and it never fails because you watch over your word to perform it. You said if I call upon you, you will answer me, you will be with me in trouble; and you will deliver me. You said nothing shall by any means harm me. You said I am encompassed about by your power and protection. I believe your word because it is true, It never fails and Jesus ensured it in the cross. Thank you father in the Name of Jesus. Amen" 

Then she waited patiently. She really did not care how it was going to happen, the one who watches over her has never failed. They were going to let her go and unceremoniously too. 

When they started arguing among themselves she knew it was time to get off. They were whispering in some other language she did not understand so she did not know what caused the argument but she knew the origin of it and she gave him a quick wink. He said He would always be with her and not one of His promises have ever failed. Not one word. 

Soon the bus stopped, they shoved her out of it and drove off. 

She was in the middle of no where as far as she was concerned but she could not be worried, the one who started the good work was more than able to finish it. 

She had been waiting for about twenty minutes. It seemed like ages. Her mother would be paralysed with worry now. She left her phone off, she would rather explain when she got home. (Interestingly the kidnappers had left her bag untouched). 

She really wished her mother would learn to trust God more. She would pray about a situation and get all agitated negating the very faith she professed.  

A car drove past her and then reversed. The owner of the car looked at her openly leering at her. He had a big beer belly and had no business driving such a small car. "What is a pretty girl like you doing out here at this time" 

Ugh not that line. She wanted to repeat the question back to him. Also asking what's he doing hitting on a young girl at this time?. Instead she answered matter of factly "I was kidnapped and dumped her after my kidnappers realised they did not want me after all" 

The dramatic change in his features almost made her laugh but she thought better of it, it would not help her current situation.  

He must have realised how young she was and how foolish his actions were hitting on an escaped kidnap victim. 

"Thank your stars girl, you are very lucky" He finally said while trying to regain whatever his idea of composure was. 

He told her to get in. He was taking her home. 

Maybe sometime during the journey she'd tell him how it had nothing to do with luck.